Manager, Child & Family Daycare Centre's
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN WEST VANCOUVER
CLOSES: JULY 25, 2019 11:30PM (PST)
Help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community.
Great opportunity for an experienced professional to join our Child & Family Services Department
Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
The Squamish Nation is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. Squamish Nation culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Manager, Child & Family Daycare Centre's to join our dynamic and progressive team in West Vancouver.
Reporting to the Director, Ayas Men Men Child & Family Services, this position works in conjunction with the Child & Family Services department to manage the Child and Family Daycare Centre’s. The incumbent is responsible for the overall operational details of the Child and Family Daycare Centre’s programs and to ensure that the goals and objectives of the Centre’s are met. The position provides planning and coordination for the assigned program responsibility areas and overall supervision of the program staff. Provides prevention, intervention and education services.
TYPICAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements permanent operating guidelines and long-range plans for Child and Family Daycare Centre division, for approval by the Director and in accordance with child protection legislation. Conducts needs assessments and evaluations of current Daycare Centre programs. Ensures programs align and support Squamish Nation member needs.
- Manages the planning, organization and coordination of programs, activities and buildings. Ensures all licensing requirements are met and completes required reports, requisitions, funding agreements, etc. Prepares and submits reports and claims for childcare subsidy, the Child care operating fund and wage enhancement reports.
- Coordinates annual budgets for Child and Family Daycare Centres, for final approval by the Director. Costs new programs, completes budget reports, seeks additional funding via proposals/grants, oversees parent fee invoicing and monitors program expenditures throughout the year to ensure budget compliance.
- Supervises the day-to-day work activities of program staff. Ensures instructors, health nurses, cultural facilitators, language instructors, etc. are contacted and scheduled. Oversees enrollment for the Daycare Centre. Assigns specific projects to staff, develops and implements an adequate support system for staff and observes staff while they are working with children and parents.
- Manages staff.
- Promotes programs through various AMM programs, throughout the community, at special events, etc. Connects with community members regarding upcoming events or programs, provides information regarding new programs and liaises with Squamish Nation community groups. Evaluates current programs, gathering feedback from staff, parents, community members, etc. and recommends improvements to Director.
- Builds and maintains professional and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders i.e. staff, government, organizations, agencies and authorities. Exchanges program information and provides instruction on the operation and use of Squamish Nation Programs to outside agencies.
- Supervises the Health and Safety of Employees and adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Child and Family Daycare Centre and Ayas Men Men Child & Family Services Teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or relevant/related field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- May be required to complete additional professional development within a set time frame.
- 2 – 3 years of directly related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including child development, aboriginal social issues, budgets, child and family program delivery, Daycare operation, and Squamish social, family, and cultural knowledge, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to staff supervision, program management, child welfare, etc.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years experience supervising 5 or more staff in a program environment.
- May be required to obtain a valid special needs/ infant toddler ECE within a set time frame.
- Experience as an intermediate user of the Internet and Microsoft Office Applications – Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Up-to-date record of immunizations and tuberculosis test.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a Diploma in Early Childhood Education plus 6 – 7 years of directly related experience managing a Daycare Centre.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
If you are a skilled communicator and a friendly and dedicated professional this could be an ideal opportunity for you, candidates must apply online.