Admin Assistant/Supervision Aide
PERMANENT FULL-TIME - SCHOOL TERM POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
CLOSES: JULY 18, 2019 11:30PM (PST)
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
The Squamish Nation is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. Squamish Nation culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for a Admin Assistant/Supervision Aide to join our dynamic and progressive First Nations government in North Vancouver.
This admin assistant position provides a variety of clerical work involving the provision of administrative support services in the Xwemelch’stn school. The incumbent exercises independent judgment and action in dealing with the students, parents, staff and the public on a variety of matters. Work is performed in accordance with established procedures. Reporting to the Principal, the admin assistant is the first contact an individual has when entering the premises or calling, hence a courteous and positive attitude is essential. The administrative assistant exercises discretion, diplomacy and patience in explaining the rules, policies and services of Xwemelch’stn Etsimxwawtxw and the Education, Employment & Training Department to parents and to the public. This position is also responsible for the supervision of all students during recess and lunch, both indoors and outdoors on the playground in all kinds of weather. The incumbent will ensure student safety and that students comply with school rules. This position will be required to intervene in potentially unsafe play situations and facilitate resolutions to student conflicts.
TYPICAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs administrative duties and ensures School and Departmental policy and procedure are followed. Keeps front office area and bulletin boards clean and tidy. Uses diplomacy, tact and patience when receiving calls, visitors, students, parents, etc. Maintains notices and newsletters on bulletin boards and school website.
- Provides clerical support to all staff. Keeps all files and records up-to-date and accurate. Responsible for incoming/outgoing correspondence, courier services, prepares cheque requisitions/purchase orders, time entry, petty cash and assists with special event administration.
- Monitors building maintenance, working with Community Operations and contractors. Maintains supply inventory and orders supplies as required. Ensures office equipment is in working order i.e. paper, toner, etc. and contacts IT as required.
- Supervises students during recess and lunch (indoors and outdoors), ensuring student safety and compliance with School policies. Leads numeracy and literacy groups, as directed.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Nursery & Primary Education and Education, Employment & Training Teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Grade 12 plus additional course work or certificate specializing Administration, Office Management or relevant/related field.
- Will be required to take training in BCeSIS.
- 6 – 12 months of directly related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including receptionist duties, clerical functions, software applications, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to switchboard operation, business writing, business machine operation, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate level user of the Internet, Microsoft Office Applications i.e. Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5 is an asset. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must be willing to learn the Squamish Nation language.
- Reliable vehicle and current auto insurance is an asset.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting & are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, CANDIDATES MUST COMPLETE ONLINE FORM BY JULY 18, 2019 at 11:30 PM (PST).