Income Assistance Officer
North Vancouver, BC
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
CLOSES: JULY 11, 2019 11:30PM (PST)
- Help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community.
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government!
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7me
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Income Assistance Officer to join our dynamic and progressive First Nations government in North Vancouver on a Full-time Permanent basis.
This senior level officer position is responsible for working one-on-one with clients to determine eligibility for Income Assistance. With an advanced knowledge of available funding, education and training sources (particularly those programs offered through the Employment Centre) this position assists clients to improve their financial and occupational situations. The incumbent is responsible for a complex caseload i.e. single parents, disability level 1 (PPMB), disability level 2 (PWD), etc. Acts as a right hand to Team Leader, assisting with scheduling and team training as necessary.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Receives income assistance applications, conducts interviews, informs clients of services and resources available, completes referrals and manages a complex caseload of 75-100 +/- clients.
- Approves applications, makes assessments for eligibility, issues income assistance and reviews special needs cases and cheques with Team Leader.
- Works in partnership with the Employment Centre, referring clients to seek employment and/or enroll in educational programs. Stays current regarding programs and employment opportunities and supports clients with applications.
- Interprets and explains Squamish Nation and Government policy and procedures for clients. Forwards complex questions or situations to Team Leader.
- Assists clients with Medical Services Plan (MSP) application process. Issues payment for MSP and Extended Health bills for approved applicants.
- Maintains accurate and current files/records and inputs data into the Squamish Nation database.
- Fields high-level complaints and inquiries, advises team regarding decisions and coaches other IA Officers by answering questions and explaining issues/process.
- Contributes to monitoring and controlling budget programs. Identifies and reports expected budget variances within area of responsibility, projects needs and provides explanations and resolutions to Team Leader.
- Contributes to the development of long-range plans and goals for the Income Assistance Program.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Income Assistance and Education, Employment & Training teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Diploma in Social Services, Career Counselling, Business or relevant/related field from a recognized from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- 4 - 5 years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including income/employment assistance programs, caseload management, client intake/assessments, forms management, administration/coordination, data entry, tracking numbers on spreadsheets, career counsellor, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to income/employment assistance programs, caseload management, client intake/assessments, forms management, administration/coordination, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate level user of the Internet, Microsoft Office Applications i.e. Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a Certificate plus 7 years of demonstrated directly-related experience as an Income Assistance Officer.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
If you are a skilled communicator and a friendly and dedicated professional this could be an ideal opportunity for you, candidates must apply online by July 4, 2019 at 11:30 PM (PST).