Manager, Accounting - Revenue and Taxation
Permanent Full-time Position
Closes: June 20, 2018 11:30 PM (PST)
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to Director, Finance, the Accounting Manager, Revenue & Taxation, takes responsibility for all areas of accounting for the Squamish Nation’s Own Source Revenue (OSR), from passive and active business interests, projects under development and intergovernmental rights and title. This position is also responsible for the budgeting and accounting functions related to the Squamish Nation’s property tax portfolio and for managing the Squamish Nation’s insurance portfolio. The incumbent manages a staff of accountants and accounting technicians. As a designated accounting professional, the incumbent has a strong grasp of GAAP standards, financial reporting, day-to-day operations, and has the knowledge and skills to perform a variety of general, advanced and year-end accounting duties. This position provides ongoing member services regarding insurance, forms, taxation, etc.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the day-to-day accounting functions for all own source revenue and expenditures ensuring all transactions are accounted for appropriately. Reviews expenditure cheque requisitions before payment processing.
- Coordinates accounts receivable function including invoicing, collections, deposits and related analysis.
- Works with Squamish Nation’s business and intergovernmental rights and title departments to ensure compliance with contractual performance and reporting obligations. Provides accounting support to subsidiaries i.e. Lynnwood Marina, etc.
- In consultation with the Director, Finance, prepares OSR annual budgets for the Squamish Nation, works with departmental Directors regarding their OSR budget, and enters the Revenue & Taxation and subsidiary company budgets into the accounting system.
- Completes internal monthly financial reporting in a timely fashion. Works with Finance Management team regarding month-end accounting procedures. Coordinates monthly financial statements for each department and sends to appropriate Director.
- Works with departmental Directors regarding contractual obligations under funding agreements. Oversees daily/weekly/monthly accounting functions and reporting. Receives and records financial statements from equity business partners.
- As the Surveyor of Taxes, responsible for the Squamish Nation’s property tax function including setting mill rates, preparing tax notices, preparing annual rate and expenditure laws, reporting to the FNTC, collections and reconciliations.
- Manages all aspects of the Squamish Nation’s insurance portfolio including maintaining asset databases, coordinating property valuations, claims resolution, insurance policy development and renewals, fleet insurance, and employee insurance reimbursements.
- Performs advanced and year-end accounting duties for the Squamish Nation and its subsidiaries. Reconciles accounts, completes journal entries and processes A/R year-end. Deals with deferred revenue, pre-paid expenses and reclassification of expenses.
- As the financial institution lead and administrator, responsible for online banking access, new accounts, signatories and manages EFT rotation with other Managers.
- Assists Director with research and project based assignments, policy and internal control development, and presents to Council or membership as requires.
- Manages staff.
- Supervises the Health and Safety of Employees and adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Revenue & Taxation and Finance teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You will also demonstrate:
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA).
- Minimum of 6 years of directly-related experience in the majority of duties listed in the job description including managing taxation and insurance portfolios, accounting, journal entries, A/P, A/R, management, etc.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years successfully managing a team of +/- 3.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to staff supervision, A/P, A/R, insurance, general accounting skills, knowledge of corporate tax returns, basic corporate and personal taxation (particularity First Nation tax issues).
- Experience as an advanced user MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized accounting system. Experience with JDEdwards is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance. Must be able to travel as required.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a CPA Designation plus a minimum of 5 years of directly-related experience as a senior level manager.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
if you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, please apply online today!