Field Repair Worker
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN SQUAMISH
CLOSES: JUNE 20, 2019 11:30 PST
- Help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We have an exciting opportunity for a Field Repair Worker to join our team in Squamish on a Permanent Full Time Basis.
Under general supervision of the Manager, this senior level position is dispatched to homes and properties to perform a variety of skilled maintenance, repair and construction work. Scope of work is routine and non-routine, i.e. Carpentry, window installation, appliance repair, etc. This position is responsible for tracking and updating work orders/tickets through email/Zendesk application. Experience and training in carpentry, plumbing, home appliance, roadwork, etc. is required. Incumbent works with limited supervision, taking personal responsibility for job quality. This position is not required to be trade qualified. A high level of physical fitness, strength and agility is required to perform duties. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Receives and completes skilled and non-routine work orders daily from Manager. Tracks and updates work orders/tickets through emails/Zendesk application. Works independently on maintenance, repair and installation. At times leads a team of workers on large home or property repair projects, keeping records of all work orders.
- Conducts job evaluation, requests trades specialists as needed, and arranges supplies/ parts purchases with approval from Manager.
- Performs skilled indoor/ outdoor labour, carpentry tasks and assists with burials and gravesite preparation.
- Evaluates household appliances for replacement or repairs and installs new appliances when needed.
- Performs a variety of plumbing tasks i.e. installs, repairs or replaces pipes, water heaters, faucets, shower heads, toilets, etc. Operates Heavy equipment such as a jackhammer, excavator, bobcat, backhoe, etc. as required.
- Maintains nation-owned public roads and signs. Repairs roads, installs signs, posts, etc.
- Installs handicapped aids for members.
- Performs routine maintenance for Nation owned vehicles and tools. Repairs tools and equipment, keeps workshop and storage areas clean, and ensures all tools and equipment are securely stored.
- Acts as back up to field repair / labourer positions, as directed / required by Manager.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Community Operations and Squamish Valley Operations Teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Our ideal candidate will also possess:
- Grade 12 plus additional course work or certificate specializing in Plumbing, Appliance Repair, Carpentry, Heavy Equipment Operation or relevant/related field. OR Completion of Grade 10.
- Minimum of Two (2) (with Grade 12+) OR a minimum of four (4) (with Grade 10) years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in this job description including field repair, various carpentry, general labour, appliance repair, plumbing, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to carpentry, landscaping, equipment operation, first aid, WHMIS, etc.
- Current enrollment in a trades-related apprenticeship program is a definite asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5, Class 7N may be considered.
- A reliable vehicle and current auto insurance is an asset.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must provide a valid Criminal Records Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- May be willing to consider Grade 10 and a minimum of one (1) year of directly-related experience.
A combination of education and relevant /related work experience may be considered for above education and experience. The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
ABOUT THE REWARDS
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!
Please note that candidates must apply online by June 20, 2019 at 11:30 PM (PST).