Team Leader, Elders Centre (Extended)
North Vancouver, BC
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
CLOSES: June 20, 2019 11:30 PST
- Help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan
About the Squamish Nation
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for a Team Leader, Elders Centre to join our dynamic and progressive First Nations government in North Vancouver.
Under the supervision of the Member Services Director, the Elder Centre Team Leader is responsible for supervising the Elder Centre team to ensure the coordination of the day-to-day Elder Centre operations. Actively engaging and respectfully communicating with Elders on a regular basis. The incumbent incorporates ideas from Elders to design and deliver innovative Elder programming. As well as ensuring, the Centre is an inviting, comfortable safe place for Elders to gather socially. The incumbent also as the Centre coordinator, hands-on instructor and Elders companion, as well as supervising the Elder Centre team. Delivers programs five days a week according to policy, approved budgets, health, and safety and security regulations. A main objective of the position is to implement strategies that proactively increase participation and that ultimately improve quality of life of Elders, particularly those who are socially isolated or suffering from a disability or depression. The incumbent has good verbal/written communication skills and operates at a high level of membership/people interaction and must be able to respond with courtesy, neutrality, tact and diplomacy.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversees daily operation of Elders Centre, according to established policy/best practices.
- Implements, develops and coordinates Elder community programs.
- Coordinates operating schedules, staffing requirements, materials and facilities usage based on approved schedule.
- Supervises staff & centre budget.
- Attends monthly Elder meetings and promotes Elder Centre in community.
- Regularly program, policies/procedures review; provides recommendations/implements as approved.
- Supervises the Health and Safety of Employees and adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Elders Centre and Member Services Teams
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- Diploma or Certificate in Therapeutic Recreation, Recreation, Geriatric/Gerontology-based studies, Business Admin, Health Services Administration, Leadership in Health Care or Senior Living Management or a related/relevant field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Minimum of 3 years (with Diploma) OR 5 years (with Certificate) of directly-related experience in the majority of duties listed in this job description including knowledge, skills and abilities relating to coordination of a senior centre, supervision, budget programming/delivery, scheduling, knowledge of Elder issues, knowledge of residential school issues, recreational needs and marketing strategies, etc.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Experience as an intermediate level user of MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Must have a reliable vehicle/insurance.Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 5. Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or willing to obtain within a set timeframe.
- Must have valid Emergency First Aid & CPR & AED – Industry, Food Safe, WHMIS Certificates or willing to obtain within a set timeframe. May be required to obtain Level 2 First Aid within set timeframe.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends/occasional travel to Squamish as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to supervision, Elder care, residential school history, policies, budget management, recreation, adult/elder programming, geriatric/gerontology, policy development/writing/implementation, etc. Must have a Leadership/Management Skills for Supervisors Certificate or be willing to obtain in a set timeframe.
A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered for above education and experience. The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, CANDIDATES MUST COMPLETE ONLINE FORM BY JUNE 20, 2019 11:30 PM (PST).