Senior Early Childhood Educator/Assistant Supervisor
PERMANENT FULL-TIME (FUNDING BASED POSITION) IN NORTH VANCOUVER, BC
CLOSES: March 7, 2019 11:30 PST
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish Nation community!
- Join a dynamic and progressive First Nations government.
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Senior Early Childhood Educator/Assistant Supervisor to join our team in North Vancouver, BC.
As a fully Licensed Early Childhood Educator this Senior ECE/Assistant Supervisor position functions as a program lead supervising staff while providing hands-on support in a child care setting ensuring programs are running smoothly and is the lead liaison for parents and families and conducts intakes . This position is responsible for handling crises such as sickness, accidents, etc and providing solutions as situations arise for the team and families. The incumbent is responsible for managing and implementing culturally appropriate programs that are conducive to early childhood development that support the varying needs and well-being of children and parents in the community. Responsible to implement support service for children with special needs or experiencing developmental delays. Leads, plans and coordinates child development programs as well as creates meal plans, shopping and monthly program calendars . The incumbent is also responsible for completing various reports i.e. incident, attendance, funding and quarterly reports. The incumbent has a high level of people interaction, works well within teams, and functions as a leader responding with courtesy, tact and diplomacy.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts intakes with families for children registering for the program.
- Leads the planning, coordination and implementation developmentally appropriate programs.
- Ensures culturally appropriate programs are in place.
- Leads staff and participates in the care of children.
- Ensures a healthy and safe environment.
- Functions as main contact with parent/families.
- Responsible to ensure effective inclusion of children who are at risk of or diagnosed with developmental delay.
- Completes files/reports for parents, Manager/Supervisor and Province as required.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of Family Centres and Ayas Men Men Child & Family Services Teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You will also demonstrate:
- Early Childhood Care & Educator Diploma with an Infant Toddler & Post Basic Special Needs Certificate, with License to Practice.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly-related experience in the majority of duties listed in the job description including experience in an early childhood setting as a licensed educator supporting children with disabilities or extra support needs, working in a multi-disciplinary team, program leader or performed leadership responsibilities including administration, program planning and acted as a main liaison with parents including written communication with families, community, monthly/quarterly reports, documentation, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate level user MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Valid First Aid & CPR Certificate or willing to obtain within set timeframe.
- Valid Food Safe Certificate or willing to obtain within set timeframe.
- Must provide a copy of immunization record or willing to provide within a set timeframe.
- Must provide a doctor’s letter/medical certificate stating sound physical and psychological health.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with vulnerable sector search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to child care program management, Squamish language, First Nation’s child development, curriculum development, language immersion, leadership etc.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.