North Vancouver, BC
TERM FULL-TIME IN NORTH VANCOUVER
CLOSES: May 23, 2019 11:30PM (PST)
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish Nation community!
- Join a dynamic and progressive First Nations government.
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
About the Squamish Nation
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mes.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Accountant to join our dynamic and progressive team in North Vancouver location.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, Service Delivery, this position effectively supports Squamish Nation’s accounts reconciliation. With a professional accounting designation (CPA) or a student actively enrolled in the CPA program, the incumbent is fully GAAP knowledgeable and performs a variety of routine and non-routine accounting duties.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Reconciles accounts and assists with accounting duties related to Squamish Nation operated retail businesses.
- Performs general accounting duties.
- Provides ongoing member services.
- Prepares bank reconciliations.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as member of the Finance & Administration team.
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA) or Level 1 student status the CPA Program.
- Three (3) years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialities listed in job description including bank and other account reconciliations, A/P, A/R and general accounting.
- Exposure to a First Nations accounting environment is an asset.
- Experience as an advanced user of the Internet, Microsoft Office Applications – Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc. and with Cantax (or other tax preparation software).
- Working experience with a large scale computerized accounting system. Experience with JD Edwards is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- Grade 12 plus 12-14 years may substitute for above education and experience.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.