Child & Youth Worker Trainee - Life Skills
ON CALL/TEMPORARY/PART-TIME/TERM/PERMANENT POSITIONS IN NORTH VANCOUVER, BC
ONGOING RECRUITMENT. POSITIONS FILLED BASED ON THE NEEDS OF THE AYAS MEN MEN CHILD & FAMILY SERVICES DEPARTMENT
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Child & Youth Worker Trainee - Life Skills to join our team in North Vancouver.
The scope of this junior level position is to assist Child & Youth Worker 02 and 03 to manage a case load of children and youth at risk and in care. The essence of the position is to work one to one with assigned children in order to build strong relationships of trust and provide moral, emotion and cultural support much the same was a “big brother/sister” would. The incumbent is responsible for working with the children and youth in a way that achieves the “case plans” as designed by case social workers and other members of the interdisciplinary treatment team. S/he must keep detailed records, report critical incidences and attend team meetings to discuss progress of each child in his/her case load.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Assists Child & Youth Worker 02 and 03 with case management.
- Assists Child & Youth Worker 02 and 03 to manage an active caseload of child and youth files.
- Assists Child & Youth Workers 02 and 03 with support of children and youth at risk.
- Follows proper protocol and procedures for child care.
- Performs shifts at the Youth Centre and assists with instructing activities as required.
- Assist with organizing programs for groups of children and youth in the community.
- Participates in coordination of Programs.
- Supports and learns Squamish Nation Culture.
- Attends conferences and promotes awareness of division.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of Child, Youth & Community Awareness and Ayas Men Men Child & Family Services Teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You will also demonstrate:
- Grade 12 Plus 1 to 4 years directly related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including teaching life skills, youth mentorship, counselling, caseload management, Squamish Nation culture, program coordination, etc.
- Requires comprehensive knowledge of, and ability to demonstrate, and carry out the position’s professional competencies.
- Strong knowledge of Squamish Nation culture, traditions and heritage is a definite asset.
- Experience as an intermediate level user MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Official copies of school records.
- Must have a valid First Aid and CPR Certificate or willing to obtain in a set timeframe.
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Must be able to work evening and weekends as required.
- Must be willing to work a flexible work schedule.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider candidate who is pursuing a related/relevant certificate within a set timeframe as a trainee position to allow the incumbent to utilize education/experience in the position. As a ‘trainee’, the incumbent performs duties described with the scope of his/her education/experience to gain experience/understanding of the position; while working closely with the division team members and department management.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to area of specialty such as life skills, medicine wheel, wellness, grief and loss issues, motivation, child & youth mentoring, fetal alcohol syndrome, life planning and problem analysis.
A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered for above education and experience. The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
ABOUT THE REWARDS
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive salary plus a great host of benefits for yourself and your family. Above all, you will have the opportunity to contribute at an exciting time of growth within the community, and play a part in employee initiatives, environmental protection activities, and community building.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!