Language & Culture Teacher
PERMANENT PART-TIME IN SQUAMISH, BC
CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 22, 2018 11:30 PM (PST)
About the Squamish Nation
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Language & Culture Teacher to join our dynamic and progressive team in our Squamish location.
This culture and language position promotes the use of the Squamish language and increases the knowledge of culture and history among students in a school setting. This position will be part of team that develops the K - 12 Squamish language program and responsible for delivery of the program. At a language and culture level 01, this position has beginner level command of Squamish language and culture as judged by Elders. Teaches grades K – 12 and manages a caseload of approximately +/- 30 students.
Other responsibilities include:
- Provides instruction to individuals and groups of students.
- Achieves prescribed learning outcomes.
- Assists in design of Squamish Valley culture and language curriculum.
- Creates instructional tools.
- Establishes and adheres to timetable.
- Evaluates students and provides reports.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of Squamish Valley Education and Squamish Valley Operations Teams.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution specializing in Education, First Nations studies or relevant/related field.
- Must have the Instructors Diploma or must be willing to obtain in a set time frame.
- Plus 1 to 3 years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in job description including experience as an educator e.g. First Nations Support Worker, cultural worker, etc.
- Minimum one 1 year experience in teaching Squamish language and culture classes (K- 12).
- Trained by family and Elders to teach beginner level Squamish words and phrases - oral and written.
- Experience as an intermediate level user MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Must have a valid BC Drivers License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
- Valid First Aid Certificate – Level 1 an asset or must be willing to obtain within set timeframe.
- Must be able to work evening and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- Grade 12 plus 2-6 years may substitute for above education and experience.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete the Squamish Language Certificate Program, job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to First Nation’s education studies, teaching methodology, etc.
A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered for above education and experience. The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.