Managing Director, Nation Services
PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION
CLOSES: JULY 11, 2019 11:30 PST
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community.
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government!
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Managing Director, Nation Services to join our team in North Vancouver, BC on a permanent full-time basis.
Reporting directly to the Squamish Nation Council and working in conjunction with the Managing Director, Administrative Operations, the Managing Director, Nation Services brings the community together by taking collective action and maintaining a commitment to improving the quality of life for the Squamish Nation people through the empowerment of the community in identifying and addressing challenges within.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Demonstrating initiative and an ability to develop, communicate, and implement successful strategic initiatives, handle sensitive, contentious, complex and highly confidential issues involving multiple and diverse stakeholders with skill, tact and diplomacy.
- Identifying issues, exchanging information and seeking input on broad service matters, will be key to delivering on objectives.
- Effectively collaborating with Council and Executive Leadership on the development of Strategic Community Plans.
- Acting as a representative of the Squamish Nation to funding sources, including government agencies and private sector organizations.
- Developing and maintaining a strong understanding/connection to the Squamish Nation culture and community.
- Leading continual service and process improvement through regular analysis.
- Collaboratively with Nation Services Directors, establishing annual and long-term department workplans.
- Developing, monitoring and reviewing the sector’s annual budget and spending in conjunction with Finance Director, other executive level Directors and Squamish Nation Council.
- Developing, revising and evaluating sector policies and processes with Nation Services Directors, relevant Council Committees and Squamish Nation Council.
- Participating on committees and assists with financial, strategic and operational considerations associated with a wide range of programs, projects/initiatives and proposals.
- Facilitating the budget process and works directly with Finance and other on preparation.
- Overseeing special projects, delegates tasks, and fosters collaboration.
- Participating as a member of the Squamish Nation Executive Leadership Team.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
To be successful in this role, you will have a Masters or Bachelor degree in Public Administration, Business, Leadership, Governance, Public Policy, FN Studies, Sociology, or a related degree from a recognized post-secondary institution combined with a minimum of 5 years experience in an executive level management position with responsibility for 5 or more senior direct reports and 50 or more indirect reports.
In order to succeed in this role, you will have exceptional communication and presentation skills, as well as the demonstrated ability to lead a team, handle numerous projects simultaneously and develop, communicate, and implement successful strategic initiatives while handling sensitive, contentious, complex and highly confidential issues involving multiple and diverse stakeholders with skill, tact and diplomacy.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experienced project management skills, including personal and team organization, planning, building a comprehensive work plan, negotiating, risk management, executing, bringing the project to fruition and managing budgets in excess of $20 million
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities to increase efficiencies and improve upon Nation services
- Experience in a public sector, government agency, reporting to a board of directors, council, etc
- Experience working in a First Nation/Squamish Nation organization/environment is considered an asset
- Advanced level user MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point )
- A valid drivers licence, own vehicle and the ability to travel
As an employee of the Squamish Nation, you will be expected to commit to continuous professional development including job-required, training and courses relating to leadership, staff management/development, budgeting, forecasting, managing cash flow, policy development, external funding, etc.
Please note that in order to be considered, you must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
ABOUT THE BENEFITS
The successful incumbent will be rewarded with a competitive annual salary based on skills and experience. You will also receive a great range of employee benefits, including:
Benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health coverage
Generous pension program
Office located in beautiful North Vancouver
This is a unique opportunity to join a team of a progressive and growing organization, at an exciting time. Furthermore, you will enjoy being part of a working environment that promotes personal and professional growth in an atmosphere of trust, respect, and collaboration.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
If you are looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!