PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN WEST VANCOUVER
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Administrative Assistant to join our team in West Vancouver.
Reporting to the Senior Executive Assistant, the Administrative Assistant is the first point of contact for the Yúustway Health Services department, routing all requests, phone calls, correspondence and clients to the appropriate individual or division. The position is responsible for the front office reception, managing a multi-line computer-based switchboard and ensuring efficient operation of the office. The incumbent performs basic clerical duties and provides support to health professionals and members of the Health Services administrative team during work overflow.
Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Manages a multi-line switchboard, taking accurate and detailed messages or re-routing as needed if an alternative staff member is appropriate. Maintains reception area, bulletin boards, filing cabinet security, and staff log in/out book. Ensures phone coverage at all times and provides routine information pertinent to Yúustway Health Services using diplomacy, patience and tact when receiving calls/visits.
- Coordinates incoming/outgoing correspondence, maintains mail log, arranges for courier services and maintains cheque requisition log and files. Monitors office, kitchen and coffee supplies and reports to the Senior Executive Assistant, prepares coffee daily and ensures all copiers are filled with paper.
- Greets visitors with friendliness, professionalism and a positive attitude, acts as a “gate keeper” for the department, determines need or purpose of visit and informs relevant staff, offers refreshments and maintains office security by ensuring all visitors are in designated/authorized areas only. Handles difficult inquiries, problem situations and confidential matters to level of authority.
- Provides support to Health Professionals, including signing in patients, advising health professional of patient arrival, file documentation, clerical support, scheduling/confirming appointments, etc.
- Manages boardroom bookings documentation, maintenance when the room is booked and ensures Yúustway Health Services staff/meetings receive priority. Assists with coordinating logistics for meetings i.e. catering, supplies, etc. Assists other divisions with administrative overflow and special projects as needed.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Strategic Partnerships & Management and Health, Wellness & Recreation Services teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Grade 12 plus additional course work or certificate specializing in Medical Office Assistant, Office Management, Administration or a relevant/related field.
- 6 – 12 months of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in the job description including receptionist and medical office assistant duties, clerical functions, computer operation, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to switchboard operation, business writing, business machine operation, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate user of the Internet and Microsoft Office Applications– Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Knowledge of services provided by Yúustway Health Services and external health and related services.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Record Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $30,748 to $36,174, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!